- November 25th, 4pm–6pm CEST
- November 26th, 2pm–6pm CEST
- December 3rd, 2pm–6pm CEST
- December 17th, 4pm–6pm CEST (optional Seasons Party)
- January 21st, 2pm–6pm CEST
TRANSCULTURALITY AND THE “EUROPEAN TEACHER” IN THE 21ST CENTURY
Transcultural approaches require interdisciplinary engagement and that is exactly what this Winter School offers. Drawing on the expertise of academic and educational experts from various fields, we will jointly explore, discuss and reflect on the concepts and related issues of “transculturality” and “Europeanness” as well as their challenges and opportunities. In this way, we seek to actively accompany you as future teachers on your journey to become reflective practitioners at an early stage of our future career and help you build a professional international network.
Thursday, 25th November 2021 (4pm–6pm CEST):
- Welcome and introduction
- Motion Break
- Discussion of core text
Friday, 26th November 2021 (2pm–6pm CEST)
- Live discussions on “Shifting Perceptions” (with Prof. Dr. Carola Mantel, Zug) and “Antiracist Education” (with Dr. Aminkeng Alemanji, Helsinki)
Friday, 3rd December 2021 (2pm–6pm CEST)
- Live discussions on “Transculturality in the Classroom” (with Chinyere Harris, New York) and “European Identity” (with Dr. Mario Resch, Heidelberg)
Friday, 17th December 2021 (4pm-6pm CEST)
- Seasons Party (optional)
Friday, 21st January 2022 (2pm–6pm CEST)
- Live discussion on “Teaching and Learning in the 21st century” (with Prof. Dr. Britta Klopsch, Karlsruhe)
- Joint work on group assessments
- Concluding session
Participating students …
- reflect on their own values and beliefs and determine how they affect them as teachers.
- engage critically with the concepts of “transculturality” and “Europeanness” and related issues.
- change perspectives and reflect on a topic from multiple perspectives.
- apply pluralistic approaches to their future teaching.
- develop an understanding for promoting a transcultural attitude in classrooms.
- review innovative education systems and pedagogies.
To apply, please send an email indicating your motivation for participation as well as details about your current study programme by October 28th, 2021 to: email@example.com.
- expert guidance and stimulating discussions in an interdisciplinary, international and interactive study environment;
- skills and competencies in critical reflection on transculturality in (teacher) education;
- the opportunity to network and exchange experiences on an international level;
- a certificate of attendance from the Heidelberg School of Education (credits: 1 ECTS) for those who contribute to the group assessment – please confer with your home university about the acknowledgement of credit points;
- free admission.
- motivation to actively exchange ideas, discuss and reflect upon the topic of the Winter School;
- mandatory participation in online sessions;
- preparation on the basis of a study reader and further digital material (videos etc.), provided in advance;
- participation in individual parts of the programme will be possible upon request, preference will be given to those seeking to take part in the entire Winter School;
- contribution to a group assessment (pass/fail; more information will be provided in the first session);
- good command of the English language.
We look forward to welcoming you to our digital Winter School!
Participants will receive access details via email.